Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the one....With the Geocache of course!! DUH.

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Ashland Woods South 3/2/10

Ashland,MA
Sitting at home today on this exceptionally nice day, it was around 50 degrees and sunny.  I had just gotten my new cache series published that day and figured I would do some caching myself while I waited for the logs to start rolling in.
I felt like going for a little walk and felt that Ether Bunny's Ashland woods series would be nice as they were published at the beginning of the winter and I haven't gotten them yet even though they are right down the street.

I approached the trailhead on Winter St which I recognized from a previous cache experience at  Granite Quarry.  I started up the trail and ran into some flooded out spots.

About 1/4 mile into the woods I came across a fire hydrant and thought, why is this way out here?

At the hydrant there was a fork but I figured out which way pretty easily.
As I approached Stage 1 I saw lots of possible places, it looked almost as if the hider had intentionally tried to throw people off.  But I was victorious and found the container and was quickly off to the next stage.
I went wandering down the trail to stage 2.  Along the way to stage 2 there were some impressive rock formations on the left.  After forging ahead despite the warm weather thaw trying to keep me off the trail I come to stage 2, this one was much easier to locate and got the coordinates for the final.
From Stage 2 I headed off to the final but could not decide which trail to take as it split and the cache showed in the middle.
I considered bushwhacking but with a 1/4 mile to the next stage I took my chances and picked one.  While it was the right trail I quickly came upon a very large area washed out, so in true Mooney625 fashion I ended up bushwhacking anyway.  Upon arrival at ground zero I was able to quickly locate the final container.
I signed the log and obtained information to help find the  Ashland Woods Bonus cache.
I also picked up the Mopsey and Cotton-tail Travel Bug.

At this point it was time to head out to The Big Black Travelling Bug and drive to the next trailhead.

No comments:

Post a Comment